Note: These places are listed in order of appearance, and are not alphabetical.
In the county of Kent, England and first mentioned as Cetham in 880, Chatham means ‘basin’ or ‘valley’ (of the river Medway). Historically one of Britain’s most important docklands, the town was home to a number of forts and barracks including: Kitchener Barracks (c 1750–1780), the Royal Marine Barracks (c 1780). Brompton Artillery Barracks (1806) and Melville Barracks. Additionally H.M.S. Collingwood and H.M.S. Pembroke, both naval barracks were also housed there.
Officially Cape Trafalgar off the south-west coast of Spain, site of the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 in which the British Navy, led by Admiral Sir Horatio Nelson defeated the French Navy under Napoleon Bonaparte. Nelson, celebrated due to this success, was killed during the battle on board his flagship HMS Victory
On the south bank of the Thames in London, the buildings were originally constructed to serve as the Royal Hospital for Seamen at Greenwich, now Greenwich Hospital, designed by Christopher Wren, and built between 1696 and 1712. The hospital closed in 1869 though between 1873 and 1998 it was re-named the Royal Naval College, Greenwich.
An earlier construction on the site was Greenwich Palace, birthplace of Tudor queens Mary I and Elizabeth I, reputedly the favourite palace of Henry VII, who built it (and most of King’s College, Cambridge). The palace fell into disrepair during the English Civil War and demolished in 1694.
The Medway is a river and an associated area in Kent, England a long and varied history dominated originally by the city of Rochester and later by the naval and military establishments principally in Chatham and Gillingham.
Tonbridge School is an independent day and boarding school for boys in Tonbridge, Kent, England, founded in 1553 by Sir Andrew Judd (sometimes spelled Judde). It is a member of the Eton Group and is a public school in the British sense of the term.
The school occupies a site of 150 acres (607,000 m²) on the edge of Tonbridge, and is largely self-contained, though the boarding and day houses are spread through the town. It is unusual in the fact it is not co-educational even now.
Cambridge (/keɪmbrɪdʒ/) is a university city and the county town of Cambridgeshire, England. It lies in East Anglia, on the River Cam. University of Cambridge, founded in 1209, has 31 colleges. Famous for its bicycles it was recorded in the early 2000s that there was an estimated 35,000 in the city! To the north of the city there is a Roman castle and in the area next to St John’s college on can find evidence of Viking occupance and long use of the river for trade purposes – via the Ouse, it reaches the North Sea at King’s Lynn, Norfolk, about 60 miles North North-West. Via its railway (station built 1848) it has easy access to London.
It is surprising to note that Cambridge was not officially a city until 1954. (For more information, see the article in Appendices)
Brighton i/ˈbraɪtən/ is a town on the south coast of Great Britain. Its predecessor, the ancient settlement of “Brighthelmstone” dates from before Domesday Book (1086). It developed in popularity as a health resort featuring sea bathing during the 18th century, and was used as a seaside getaway by the Prince Regent. After the railway reached the town in 1841, it became a popular destination for day-trippers from London.
Uni. of London
The University of London (informally referred to as London University) is a collegiate research university located in London, England, consisting of 18 constituent colleges, 10 research institutes and a number of central bodies. It was established by Royal Charter in 1836
St Bartholomew’s Hospital, also known simply as Barts, or more formally as The Royal Hospital of St Bartholomew is a hospital in Smithfield in the City of London. Barts is the oldest hospital in Europe, having been founded in 1123, and the oldest in the United Kingdom that still occupies its original site.
At one point, it became legally known as the “House of the Poore in West Smithfield in the suburbs of the City of London of Henry VIII’s Foundation”, although the title was never used by the general public.
Teaching at St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical College was officially established in 1843 to train medics, although it was considered to have been started by John Abernethy when the hospital built a theatre for his lectures at the beginning of the century.
Royal College of Physicians
The Royal College of Physicians of London is a British professional body of doctors of general medicine and its sub-specialties. It was originally founded as the College of Physicians. It received a royal charter in 1518 from King Henry VIII, affirmed by Act of Parliament in 1523
It was the first medical institution in England to become a Royal College, and the first Royal College in the UK and Ireland for physicians; its charter following that of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh which received it in 1506.
Chichester (/ˈtʃɪtʃɨstər/) is a cathedral city in West Sussex, in South-East England. It has a long history as a settlement with a Roman past and subsequent importance in Anglo-Saxon times.
National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic
Since 1988 the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (informally the NHNN, The National or Queen Square) is a neurological hospital in the Bloomsbury area of Central LondonUnited Kingdom and part of the University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. It was the first hospital to be established in England dedicated exclusively to treating the diseases of the nervous system. The hospital was founded in 1859 and originally called The National Hospital for Diseases of the Nervous System including Paralysis and Epilepsy and later the National Hospital for Nervous Diseases.
Jena (German pronunciation: [ˈjeːna] ( listen)) is a typical German University town, 170 km (106 miles) N of Nuremberg . The university itself was established in 1558 and is counted among the ten oldest universities in Germany. Elector John Frederick of Saxony , captor and probable protector of Reformist Martin Luther after the Diet of Worms 1521, first thought of a plan to establish a university at Jena upon Saale in 1547 while he was being held captive by emperor Charles V. The plan was put into motion by his three sons and, after having obtained a charter from the Emperor Ferdinand I, the university was established on 2 February 1558.
Bethlem Royal Hospital
Founded in 1247, during the reign of Henry III, as the Priory of the New Order of St Mary of Bethlem in the city of London,
the Bethlem Royal Hospital is a hospital in London, United Kingdom for the treatment of mental illness,
0riginally near Bishopsgate just outside the walls of the City of London. It moved to Moorfields just outside the Moorgate in the 17th century, then to St George’s Fields in Southwark in the 19th century, before moving to its current location at Monks Orchard in West Wickham, in the London Borough of Bromley in 1930.
The word “bedlam”, meaning uproar and confusion, is derived from the hospital’s prior nickname. In the early Victorian age, its reputation was awful but by later in the century conditions and attitudes of its staff and financiers had much improved and the hospital gradually became a modern psychiatric facility
The London branch of the Imperial War Museum now stands on one of the Hospital’s former sites.
Founded in 1721 by Thomas Guy, it was originally established as a hospital to treat “incurables” discharged from St Thomas’ Hospital
Now a large NHS hospital in the borough of Southwark in central London and is a large teaching hospital and is, with St Thomas’ Hospital and King’s College Hospital, the location of King’s College London School of Medicine. The Tower Wing (formerly known as Guy’s Tower) is the world’s tallest hospital building, standing at 148.65 metres (487.7 ft) with 34 floors.
Heidelberg (German pronunciation: [ˈhaɪdəlbɛʁk] ( listen)) is a town situated on the River Neckar in south-west Germany. Its university is known world-wide and was founded in 1386. As such it is the oldest university in Germany and was the third university established in the Holy Roman Empire. It has been a coeducational institution since 1899.
There is also has a castle, a famous ruin and landmark. These ruins are among the most important Renaissance structures north of the Alps. The castle has only been partially rebuilt since its demolition in the 17th and 18th centuries.
Imperial War Museum, London
Imperial War Museums (IWM) is a British national museum organisation with branches at five locations in England, three of which are in London. Founded as the Imperial War Museum in 1917, the museum was intended to record the civil and military war effort and sacrifice of Britain and its Empire during the First World War. The museum’s remit has since expanded to include all conflicts in which British or Commonwealth forces have been involved since 1914.
Originally housed in the Crystal Palace at Sydenham Hill, the London branch of the museum opened to the public in 1920. In 1924 the museum moved to space in the Imperial Institute in South Kensington, and finally in 1936 the museum acquired a permanent home which was previously the Bethlem Royal Hospital in Southwark
University College, London
University College London (UCL), formerly styled University College, London, is a public research university in London, England, and the oldest and largest constituent college of the federal University of London. Founded in 1826 as London University, UCL was the first university institution established in London and the first in England to be entirely secular, to admit students regardless of their religion, and to admit women on equal terms with men
UCL became one of the two founding colleges of the University of London in 1836. It has grown through mergers, including with the Institute of Neurology (in 1997), the Royal Free Hospital Medical School (in 1998), the Eastman Dental Institute (in 1999), the School of Slavonic and East European Studies (in 1999) and the School of Pharmacy (in 2012).
The Royal London Hospital
The Royal London Hospital was founded in September 1740 and was originally named The London Infirmary. The name changed to The London Hospital in 1748 and then to The Royal London Hospital in 1980 when the Queen came to visit and gave it the added ‘Royal’. The first patients were treated at a house in Featherstone Street, Moorfields in November 1740. In May 1741, the hospital moved to Prescot Street, and remained there until 1757 when it moved to its current location on the south side of Whitechapel Road, Whitechapel, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
The Royal London is part of Barts Health NHS Trust. The Royal London provides district general hospital services for the City and Tower Hamlets and specialist tertiary care services for patients from across London and elsewhere. It is also the base for London’s Air Ambulance, operating out of a rooftop helipad.
The London Hospital Medical College, the first in England and Wales, was founded in 1785. It amalgamated in 1995 with St Bartholomews Hospital Medical College, under the aegis of Queen Mary and Westfield College, now known as Queen Mary University of London, to become St Bartholomews and The Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry (name changed to Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry in 2007).
Henry Head worked here in the early 1900s, during the time of the Head-Rivers Experiment into nerve regeneration
Cambridge is formed from a variety of institutions which include 31 constituent colleges and over 100 academic departments organised into six Schools. The university occupies buildings throughout the town, many of which are of historical importance. The colleges are self-governing institutions founded as integral parts of the university. The first college was founded in 1284, the most recent in 1977.
The university also operates eight arts, cultural, and scientific museums, including the Fitzwilliam Museum and a botanic garden
Mill Road, Cambridge
Mill Road is a street in southeast Cambridge, England. It runs southeast from near to Parker’s Piece, at the junction with Gonville Place, East Road, and Parkside. It crosses the main railway line and links to the city’s ring road (the A1134). It passes through the wards of Petersfield and Romsey, which are divided by the railway line. It is a busy, cosmopolitan street home to many independent businesses, churches, a Hindu temple and a mosque.
Near the northwestern end to the south in Mortimer Road off Mill Road is Hughes Hall, one of the University of Cambridge colleges and the cricket ground of the University To the north is Anglia Ruskin University, a regional college, not part of the Cambridge university collegiate.
Mill Road was originally a quiet country lane leading to the southeast out of the city of Cambridge, named after the windmill that stood at what is now the corner of Covent Garden. The coming of the railways in the mid-19th century brought about a rapid development of the eastern part of the city after the University of Cambridge repeatedly blocked attempts to build a more central station because it felt students might be tempted towards the ‘Fleshpots of London’!
In 1838 the Cambridge Union Workhouse was opened, a building which later became the Mill Road Maternity Hospital and now a sheltered housing scheme.
St Tibbs Row, Cambridge
Torres Strait Islands
The Torres Strait is a strait which lies between Australia and the Melanesian island of New Guinea. It is approximately 150 km (93 mi) wide at its narrowest extent. To the south is Cape York Peninsula, the northernmost continental extremity of the Australian state of Queensland. To the north is the Western Province of Papua New Guinea. It is named after navigator Luis Vaz de Torres who discovered it in 1606.
Several clusters of islands lie in the Strait, collectively called the Torres Strait Islands. There are at least 274 of these islands, of which 17 have present-day permanent settlements. Over 6,800 Torres Strait Islanders live on the Islands and 42,000 live on the mainland.
The islands’ indigenous inhabitants are the Torres Strait Islanders, Melanesian peoples related to the Papuans of adjoining New Guinea. The various Torres Strait Islander communities have a distinct culture and long-standing history with the islands and nearby coastlines. Their maritime-based trade and interactions with the Papuans to the north and the Australian Aboriginal communities have maintained a steady cultural diffusion between the three societal groups, dating back thousands of years at least.
Two indigenous languages are spoken on the Torres Strait Islands: Kala Lagaw Ya/ as well as Brokan [Broken], otherwise called Torres Strait Creole.
Melanesia (UK: /ˌmɛləˈniːziə/; US: /ˌmɛləˈniːʒə/) is a subregion of Oceania extending from the western end of the Pacific Ocean to the Arafura Sea, and eastward to Fiji.
The region consists of the four countries of:
• Solomon Islands
• Papua New Guinea.
Besides these independent countries, Melanesia also includes:
• New Caledonia, a special collectivity of France
• West Papua. West Papua includes two provinces of Indonesia, Papua and West Papua
Murray Island (which the local Torres Strait Islanders called Mer) is a small island of volcanic origin, populated by the Melanesian Meriam people and situated in the eastern section of Torres Strait, near the Great Barrier Reef. The island has a population of around 450.
During WW2, in 1941, over 700 Islanders volunteered to defend the Torres Strait. This group was organised into the Torres Strait Light Infantry Battalion. A call for independence from Australia in the 1980s was due to the government failing to provide basic infrastructure on the island.
Missionaries (mainly Polynesian) and some other Polynesians began to settle on the island in 1872 when the London Missionary Society founded a missionary school there. The Queensland Government annexed the islands in 1879 but moves made in the latter part of the 20th century saw this overturned. Rivers’ work was significant in the making of the decision by the High Court of Australia. The key appeals were by a man called Eddie Mabo, descendant of the islanders The organisation of the island is now based on the traditional laws of boundary and ownership.
Queensland (abbreviated as Qld) is the second-largest and third-most populous state in Australia. Situated in the north-east of the country, it is bordered by the Northern Territory, South Australia and New South Wales to the west, south-west and south respectively. To the east, Queensland is bordered by the Coral Sea and Pacific Ocean. Queensland has a population of 4,560,059, concentrated along the coast and particularly in the state’s South East.
Queensland (abbreviated as Qld) is the second-largest and third-most populous state in Australia. Situated in the north-east of the country beside the Coral Sea and Pacific Ocean. It was named in honour of Queen Victoria
Simbo is an island in the Solomon Islands; it is located in the Western Province. It was known to early Europeans as Eddystone Island. Simbo is actually two main islands, one small island called Nusa Simbo separated by a saltwater lagoon from a larger one. Collectively the islands are known to the local people as Mandegugusu,
Moss side Military hospital was located at near L Maghull, iverpool during the Great War and treated soldiers of the ranks who suffered shellshock. Unlike the regime in many of its counterpart establishments the treatment here centred around dream interpretation in particular.
First Eastern General Hospital in Cambridge (Territorial Force)
The First Eastern was a very large hospital with a 1700 bed capacity, located on land now occupied by the University library and Clare College’s Memorial Court. From the start of the war until 1919, it covered 8 acres and 70,000 soldiers passed through its door
( i/ˈɛdɪnbərə/; Scottish Gaelic: Dùn Èideann) is the capital city of Scotland, situated in Lothian on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth. It is the second most populous city in Scotland and the seventh most populous in the United Kingdom. The population in 2013 was 487,500. Edinburgh lies at the heart of a Larger urban zone with a population of 778,000.Edinburgh, Scotland
Craiglockhart War Hospital for Officers
In 1916- 1919, during the First World War, Craiglockhart War Hospital for Officers near Edinburgh was set up to deal with shell-shocked officers. It was presided over by several commandants but Matron during most of the period was Margaret McBean, from Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve
Originally the buildings were part of a hydropathic institute and did not look particularly inviting – Sassoon refered to them as a ‘cavernous bulk’. After a number of other incarnations, they are now part of Napier University
Napier Technical College was founded in 1964, taking its name from John Napier, the inventor of logarithms and the decimal point, who was born in 1550 in the medieval tower house of Merchiston Castle (the site of the University’s Merchiston campus). The college was renamed Napier Polytechnic in 1986 and in the same year acquired the former Hydropathic hospital buildings at Craiglockhart. In June 1992 the institution officially became Napier University
Royal Victoria Hospital Netley
The Royal Victoria Hospital, or Netley Hospital was a large military hospital in Netley, near Southampton, Hampshire, England. Construction started in 1856 at the suggestion of Queen Victoria but its design caused some controversy, chiefly from Florence Nightingale. Often visited by Queen Victoria, the hospital was extensively used during the First World War – a large Red Cross hutted hospital was built at the back of the site, which expanded Netley Hospital to accommodate around 2,500 beds. Many of the staff were Red Cross volunteers, as most of the regular staff were overseas. Some 50,000 patients were treated at Netley during the war.
Royal Hospital, Hampstead Heath
In March 1915 the War Office assigned the Hospital to the Army, and it became The Military Hospital, Hampstead. Four additional huts, each to hold 25 patients, were built in the grounds of the Hospital. The total patient accommodation was 230 beds. The nursing staff consisted of a Matron, six Sisters (two from the Regular Military Nursing Service and four from the Reserve) and 8 members of a Voluntary Aid Detachment. Convalescent soldiers wore new hospital uniforms – blue coats with white facings, matching trousers and a scarlet tie. In 1916 it became a special army research hospital for the study and treatment of cardiac cases among army personnel. One of its main projects was investigation into effort syndrome, or disorderly action of the heart, commonly known as ‘soldier’s heart’. By 1917 the premises had become too small for the number of patients presenting themselves and the heart unit moved to the Sobroan Barracks Military Hospital in Colchester.
In December 1917 the Mount Vernon buildings became the Royal Flying Corps Central Hospital. In March 1918 an Air Medical Investigation Committee was established to investigate the problems of special disabilities associated with flying, especially anoxaemia (oxygen deficiency) caused by flying at high altitudes.
Evelyn Convalescent Nursing Home, Cambridge
The Evelyn Nursing Home was founded in 1921 by C Morland Agnew as a consequence of his wife Evelyn having undergone an unpleasant stay in another Cambridge nursing home.
For many years the only Cambridge nursing home to possess an operating theatre, the Evelyn also opened its doors to medical, maternity and psychiatric patients and to residents. Following an ambitious programme of modernisation and development instigated by Morland Agnew’s grandson Julian Agnew in 1974, the Evelyn decided to specialise in the care of acute medical and surgical cases – a programme for which it was well equipped, thanks to its close ties with Addenbrooke’s Hospital and with the Cambridge medical fraternity.
In 1983 it was renamed the Evelyn Hospital as a reflection of its new status and in 2003 it was sold to the Nuffield Hospitals Group.
St Giles Cemetery
Now the Ascension Parish Burial Ground, formerly St Giles and St Peter’s Parish, is a cemetery in Cambridge, England. It is located just off Huntingdon Road near the junction with Storey’s Way in the northwest of Cambridge. The burial ground is a designated City Wildlife Site and is part of the Storey’s Way Conservation area
Museum Of Archaeology and Anthropology
Founded in 1884 as the University’s Museum of General and Local Archaeology, the museum initial collections included local antiquities collected by the Cambridge Antiquarian Society and artefacts from Polynesia donated by Alfred Maudslay and Sir Arthur Gordon. Anatole von Hügel, the Museum’s first Curator donated his own collection of artefacts from the South Pacific. More material was collected by the 1898 Cambridge anthropological expedition to the Torres Strait under Alfred Haddon and W. H. R. Rivers. Haddon and Rivers would encourage their Cambridge students to continue to collect for the museum in their ethnographic fieldwork.
Von Hügel set in motion a move to larger, specially built, premises: in 1913 the museum moved to its present location in Downing Street,
Cambridge University Library
The central library of the University of Cambridge in England was housed in the university’s “Old Schools” near Senate House until the collection within it and a new library was built. That site is beyond the ‘Backs’ on the western edge of Cambridge city centre is between Robinson College and Memorial Court, Clare College, comprising of the University Library itself and eighteen Affiliated libraries.
The “UL” holds around 8 million items (including maps and sheet music) and, unlike in the Bodleian or the British Library, many of its books are available on open shelves.